Where Maori and Pakeha come together
Named after the river that flows under the sacred mountain Hikurangi, the Anglican Diocese of Waiapu has woven Maori and Pakeha strands together since it began with Maori and then missionary evangelists.
From the time of its first bishop in 1859, Waiapu has spanned a huge geographical area across the central and eastern North Island, divided into three regions: Hawke's Bay, Eastland and Bay of Plenty.
Some 80 parishes and social service agencies from Tauranga to Woodville, Turangi to Tolaga Bay serve provincial cities and small rural settlements, providing ministry through a variety of forms: vicar-led parishes and local team ministries, hospital chaplaincies, schools, youth projects and social service agencies ranging from early childhood centres to residential homes for the elderly.
In all that it offers, Waiapu stands for a church that is welcoming and inclusive of all, open, broad-based and ecumenical in its understanding of the Christian faith, committed to a ministry of all the baptized and committed to Tikanga Rua, a partnership with Maori built on justice and mutual respect.
Waiapu has a long history of being a friendly and informal diocese that enjoys its diversity and doesn't take itself too seriously.